Gopalkala Recipe with Video and Step by Step pictures.
Gopalkala is a savoury dish prepared using poha (flattened rice ) , curd , cucumber , coconut and green chillies . It is a no cook recipe ,just mix together all ingredients and temper with ghee. This is mainly distributed as prashad during Dahi Handi . Hence GopalKala is one of the main offering to Lord Krishna on next day following Janmashtami. Gopalkala is also put inside Dahi Handi before breaking the pot.
Krishna Janmashtami is the celebration to mark the birth of Lord Krishna. Most of them fast on Janmashtami day and celebrations start from midnight . Lots of sweets and savoury dishes like Rava Laddu ( Rave Unde) , Kalakand , Murmura ladoo (Puri Unde) , Coconut Barfi( Kobbari Mithai) , Nippattu , Chakli ( Muruku ) are few of the most popular dishes on this festival .
Apart from sweet and savoury dishes , poha based recipes are most popular for this day . As flattened rice is considered to be one of the most favourite ingredient to Lord Krishna , many of the offerings are made using flattened rice . Along with Gopalkala , Sweet Poha , Gojju avalakki ( Spicy Tangy Poha) and Rasayana are made to offer Lord Kanniya .
RECIPE CARD FOR GOPAL KALA | JANMASHTAMI RECIPE
Gopalkala | Janmashtami Recipe
- 1 cup Flattened Rice / Poha - any variety
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Curds / Dahi
- 1 no Cucumber , finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Coconut , freshly grated
- 1 no Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger ,grated
- 3 Tbsp Coriander Leaves , chopped
- 2 Tbsp Pomegranate arils , optional
- 1 Tbsp Raisins ,optional
- 1 Tsp Salt or as required
- 1 Tsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 no Green Chilli ,chopped
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- Wash flattened rice well .Thin variety of poha gets softened while washing , it just takes around 30 seconds of time . For thicker variety , wash and soak for 2 minutes.
- Drain water completely and set aside.
- In a bowl , add drained poha , cucumber , coconut , green chillies , grated ginger , pomegranate , raisins , coriander leaves.
- Add yogurt / curds , salt and mix well .
- Heat ghee in a tempering pan , add mustard seeds and cumin seeds . Once it starts to change colour , turn off the heat . Add green chillies , curry leaves and hing
- Pour it over the above prepared poha mixture .
- Mix well and serve .
- The amount of Yogurt can be varied , 1/2 cup is perfect neither its dry nor too soggy. If you want it to be more flowing consistency ,extra milk or yogurt can be added.
- I have used medium thick poha , if you are using thick variety then wash and soak it for 2 -5 minutes, drain water completely before use.
Step by Step Directions for making of Gopalkala Recipe:
Wash flattened rice well .Thin variety of poha gets softened while washing , it just takes around 30 seconds of time . For thicker variety , wash and soak for 2 minutes.
Drain water completely and set aside.
In a bowl , add drained poha , cucumber , coconut , green chillies , grated ginger , pomegranate , raisins , coriander leaves.
Add yogurt / curds and salt .
Heat ghee in a tempering pan , add mustard seeds and cumin seeds . Once it starts to change colour , turn off the heat . Add green chillies , curry leaves and hing.
Pour it over the above prepared poha mixture.
Mix well .