Kalakand is rich milk based dessert , origin of Rajasthan. Traditional kalakand is quite lengthy as paneer needs to be done and also milk needs to be condensed. Quick versions of Kalakand is also done by using store bought paneer,sweet condensed Milk and cardamom. Milk being the main ingredient this is calcium rich sweet. And kids would love this sweet for its moist tiny granular texture with flavours of cardamom and pista.
Though the process is quite lengthy ,I’m posting the authentic Kalakand recipe.You can also prepare paneer a day before and prepare the sweet the next day ,just to ease out the procedure.If you are using store bought paneer just make sure ,it’s fresh. A rich milk dessert for your Sweet Tooth.
RECIPE CARD FOR KALAKAND
For making Cheena / Paneer
- 1 litre Full Cream Milk or 1 Cup Paneer grated
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 500 ml Full cream milk
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 8 no Pista unsalted , sliced or chopped
- 5 no Almonds , Sliced
- 1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Milk Masala Powder ,optional
- Ghee/ Clarified butter for greasing
To Make Paneer / Chenna
- Boil 1 Litre Full cream milk, once boiled add 1 Tsp of Lemon juice , allow it to curdle.
- Wash with cold water, strain whey water and extract paneer/chenna and keep it aside.
- Gets approximately 1 cup of cottage cheese/paneer.
For making Kalakand
- Take a thick bottom pan/non stick pan add 1/2 litre of milk and bring it to boil.
- Reduce heat and on a low flame keep stirring till it condenses to half and becomes thick.
- Add prepared paneer/cheena to condensed milk stir continuously and cook till mixture thickens and looks grainy.
- Add Sugar and mix well, cook till it reaches a barfi consistency.
- Add cardamom powder and chopped nuts mix well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour the mixture on a prepared greased tin, and cut into squares and serve.
- If not using Milk Masala then you can increase the amount of cardamom powder to 1/2 Tsp
- You can use store bought paneer too,thaw paneer completely and blend it too smooth in that case.
- You can use condensed milk and milk powder along with paneer. But for authentic taste ,you need to use full cream milk.
- This has short shelf life for 4-5 days ,when refrigerated in a airtight container.
Step -by-Step Directions on making of Kalakand :
Microwave / heat 1 liter milk, once it starts to boil add lemon juice and allow it to curdle.
Then wash with cold water, strain the whey from it and extract the chenna/paneer out of it.
In a thick bottom pan/ nonstick pan, add 1/2 liter of milk and bring it to boil.
Keep low flame and stir the milk occasionally . Stirring is done to make sure milk doesn’t scorch at the bottom.
Once milk volume reduces exactly to half and becomes little thick , add paneer and stir it continuously.
Cook the mixture till it gets thick and looks grainy.
Now add sugar,cardamom powder to it and mix well.Till it gets the consistency of burfi and thickens.
Now add finely chopped nuts and mix well.
Grease the plate,tray with ghee and pour the mixture over it. Let it set for 10-15 minutes.
Once it is set ,garnish with some more finely chopped nuts and cut into squares / pieces .
Kalakand is ready to serve 🙂