Kolhapuri Egg Masala is very spicy and delicious egg gravy prepared using dry coconut , black peppercorns and spices. Kolhapuri is recipes have more heat in it and this one too is quite spicy. But I have altered the original recipe to get more thick gravy and also reduced little heat . Still this Kolhapuri Egg Masala is a spicy and delicious. The recipe gets the main flavour by roasting , spices and dry coconut on low heat till fragrant.
RECIPE CARD FOR KOLHAPURI EGG MASALA
Kolhapuri Egg Masala
- 4-5 no's Eggs
- 3-4 no Guntur Red chillies
- 2-3 no Byadgi Red Chillies
- 1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tsp Black peppercorns
- 1/2 Tsp Poppy Seeds / KusKus / Gasagase
- 2 Tbsp Dry coconut
- 2 no's Onions , medium size
- 2 no's Tomatoes , medium size
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 no Garlic Cloves big fat size
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Goda Masala or Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 1/2- 2 Tsp Salt or as required
- 3/4-1 Cup Water for gravy
- In a container, keep eggs for boiling for about 12 minutes.
- Whilst, on other side in a pan, heat 1 Tbsp oil, add dry red chilli,coriander seeds, black peppercorns and fry till fragrant .
- Add dry coconut, poppy seeds and fry till fragrant.
- Now ,add onions, ginger, garlic and fry till onion turns brown.
- Add turmeric and garam masala saute and add tomatoes ,little salt and sauté till tomatoes are cooked completely.
- Allow it to cool ,Once its cooled, blend into a smooth paste without adding water.
- Break open the egg shell ,slice into 2 halves and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, 1 Tbsp clarified butter,1 Tbsp oil , add the above blended masala and saute for a minute.
- Add blender/mixer rinsed water about 3/4-1 cup to the masala,add salt to taste.
- Once it starts to boil,add boiled eggs and sim for 5-8 minutes.Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Rumali Roti ,Tandoori Roti ,Paratha or Phulka .
- You can use Red chilli powder(2 Tsp) instead of Dry Red Chilly and Coriander Powder(1 Tsp) for Coriander seeds.
- It is a thick gravy but you can adjust water for required consistency.
- If you want it to be less spice,then reduce the amount of red chilly to 3-4. I have used 3 Guntur red Chillies and 3 Byadgi, so it was not that spicy because of Byadgi Red Chillies.
- Goda Masala is kind of spice blend widely used in Maharashtra , if its not available use garam masala
Step by Step Directions on making of Kolhapuri Egg Masala :
In a pan,heat 2 Tbsp oil,add dry red chilli,coriander seeds and black peppercorns and fry .
Add dry coconut,poppy seeds and continue fry till fragrant.
Now add onions, ginger and garlic and fry till onion turns slightly golden in colour.
Add turmeric and garam masala saute and add tomatoes,little salt and saute tomatoes till it becomes mushy.
Allow it to cool ,Once its cooled, blend into a smooth paste without adding water.
Boil egg ,remove shell and slice into 2 halves and keep it aside.
In the same non stick pan,add clarified butter , add the above blended masala and saute for a minute. Add blender/mixer rinsed water about 3/4-1 cup to the masala,add salt to taste.
Once it starts to boil,add boiled eggs and sim for 5-8 minutes.Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Roti or Paratha . I served it with Whole wheat Rumali Roti 🙂