Shahi Paneer is a Mughlai dish which is delicious creamy onion based gravy made with dry nuts,kesar ,whole spices and paneer. Shahi means royal ,as the name indicates , its a rich gravy from mughlai cuisine.
Shahi Paneer is very mild spice aromatic and flavourful gravy without addition of any tomatoes,sources says mughlai dishes doesn't uses any tomatoes as tomatoes were not available during their rule in India. You get tanginess to the dish by adding yogurt , if you wish to add tomatoes you can skip yogurt and add tomatoes to get that tang.
Shahi Paneer is an creamy aromatic semi sweet gravy busted with all flavours, you can serve this with Jeera Rice or any kind of roti. I served it with lacha paratha as well as Jeera rice, it tasted amazingly good with jeera rice when compared with Lacha Paratha.
RECIPE CARD FOR SHAHI PANEER
Shahi Paneer Recipe | Rich Cottage Cheese Masala Recipe
- 200 Grams Cottage Cheese
- ½ Cup Thick Curds
- 1- 1.5 Cup Water
- ½ inch Ginger
- 4 Garlic Cloves Medium size
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Redchilly powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Salt - or as required
- ½ teaspoon Sugar - optional
- 2 tablespoon Ghee/Oil
- 5 Saffron Strands - Optional
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon Fresh Cream
- 1 drop Kewra Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1" inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 3-4 Cloves
- ½ teaspoon Shahi Jeera / Black cumin seeds
- 2 Green Cardamom / Chota Elachi
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 teaspoon Clarified Butter/Ghee
- 1 Cup Onions Cubed
- 1 Green Chilly
- 12 Whole Cashews
- 10 Almonds
- 1 tablespoon Melon Seeds - Optional
- 2 Green Cardamom Seeds
- Heat 2 teaspoon ghee in a pan ,add cardamom seeds,cashews ,almonds and melon saute for a minute,add green chilly and onions ,fry till onions turns transparent and looks golden in colour.
- Allow it to cool,and make a fine paste using little water if required.
- In the same pan, add paneer cubes and lightly toss it for a minute ,to get rid of that raw smell [This step is optional ,if you are ok with eating paneer cubes directly,no need to fry it]
- Soak lightly fried paneer cubes into water for 10 minutes .[skip this step if you are not frying the Paneer]
- Heat ghee in a pan,add all the whole spices and fry till you get nice aroma.
- Prepare ginger garlic paste , add paste to ghee and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Add the prepared onion and nuts paste and saute .
- Add all dry powder, turmeric,chili ,coriander and garam masala and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Add smoothly whisked yogurt ,salt ,sugar,close lid and simmer it for about 15 -20 minutes,till gravy thickens to desired consistency.
- Lastly add paneer cubes,saffron strands and fresh cream,mix well and continue to sim for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat,add 1-2 drops of kewra water.,mix well.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot with Jeera rice or tandoori roti.
Step By Step Directions nn making of Shahi Paneer
In a kadhai/pan/wok ,heat ghee add cardamom seeds,cashews ,badam and fry well.
Add 1 green chilly and onions and fry till onions turns slightly brown.
Allow it to cool ,and make a fine paste of it.
In the same pan,add paneer cubes and toss well. Add tossed paneer into water and keep aside for 10-15 minutes. After 10 minutes ,drain water and paneer cubes aside.
Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee,add all whole spices and fry well,till you get nice aroma.
Add the prepared ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell vanishes.
Now add prepared masala paste and saute for a minute.
Add red chilli , turmeric,coriander and garam masala powder and mix well.
Mix water ,whisked yogurt and stir well.
Add salt and sugar ,close the lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
Now add paneer cubes,saffron strands mix well and continue to cook on simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add fresh cream and mix well.
Turn off the heat, also add kewra water / essence ,mix well.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Serve hot with jeera rice or roti.