Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe with Step by Step photos and short video. Chicken Stock is a easy recipe made by simmering chicken bones . This stock can be used as base for soups and sauces , also it adds more flavour and richness to few rice dishes and pastas. Other than as a base for soup it can also be used in recipes which calls for chicken broth .
This recipe is somewhere between chicken stock and chicken broth . Basically Chicken stock is made from simmering the bones for a long period of time , which results in more depth of flavour . Where as chicken broth is made with meaty parts . Hence you can use this recipe interchangeably with broth as well as stock .
Chicken stock usually has 4 important components : chicken bones , water , aromatic vegetables and herbs & spices . Most commonly used aromatic vegetables includes onions, garlic , leeks , celery stalks and carrots . For herbs you can add bay leaves , rosemary, parsley ,thyme and spices like peppercorns , cloves , star anise and cinnamons are also used . So you can tweak the ingredients and add more or less of any ingredients depending on the flavours you need in an chicken stock .
This recipe is a basic chicken stock recipe with gentle flavours of all the four components without overpowering any particular flavour . This recipe goes on well as a base for any kind of soups and sauces . I have used chicken neck , bones , back pieces and few carcass ( unwanted chicken pieces) . In aromatic vegetables , I have used quartered onion , carrot tops, leeks and celery stalks . Bay leaf , cloves and peppercorns are spices i have added to make this soup , you can tweak the recipe you suit your needs. But just make sure at least 1-2 ingredients are present from each component.
Can store this chicken stock in refrigerator for 3 days and also can freeze well upto 6 months. You can also fill in the fill the chicken stock in ice tray and then freeze chicken stock cubes . It's easy to store and comes handy while making some soups.
RECIPE CARD FOR HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK :
Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe
- 250 grams chicken bones ,neck and back pieces
- 2 + 5 cups water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Cloves
- 6 Peppercorns
- 1 leek , roughly chopped
- ¼ onion , quaterd
- ½ carrot tops , roughly cut
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Firstly , add 2 cups of water in a pan and add chicken pieces.
- Add salt and bring it to boil .
- Turn chicken pieces to other side and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- When fat starts to float , turn of the stove .
- Discard water and set aside chicken pieces .
For Chicken Stock
- In a deep pot , add 5 cups of water .
- Add Bay leaf , cloves and peppercorns.
- Now add in all aromatic vegetables onion , leeks , carrot tops and celery stalk .
- Add chicken pieces . Let it come to boil
- Now close the pot with a lid and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove lid , turn off the stove .
- Allow it to cool. Once cooled , strain the stock and store in a glass jar.
- Can store upto 3 days when refrigerated and freeze upto 6 months.
Step by Step Directions to make Homemade Chicken Stock :
Firstly , add 1 cup water in a pan .
Add chicken pieces. Add salt and bring it to boil .
Turn chicken pieces to other side and cook for 1-2 minutes.
When fat starts to float , turn of the stove . Discard water and set aside chicken pieces .
For Chicken Stock :
In a deep pot , add 5 cups of water .
Add Bay leaf , cloves and peppercorns.
Now add in all aromatic vegetables onion , leeks , carrot tops and celery stalk .
Add chicken pieces .
Let it come to boil.
Now close the pot with a lid and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Remove lid , turn off the stove . Allow it to cool.
Once cooled , strain the stock .
When completely cooled , transfer to glass jar/ bottle and store.
Can store upto 3 days when refrigerated and freeze upto 6 months.