Capsicum Bath Recipe with step by step photos and video. Capsicum bath is a kind of masala bath made with vangi bath masala powder . This rice variety is popular as Vangi bath itself in spite of vangi (brinjal) being replaced with capsicum or any assorted vegetables.
Basically Vangi bath is a spicy rice variety with mild tangginess from tamarind. The main flavours in vangi bath comes from coriander seeds , cinnamon , cloves and kapok buds. Spiciness in vangibath is balanced with dry coconut and tamarind. Also mixing cooked rice with vangi bath masala paste and vangi bath powder plays a very important role in enhancing the taste of this masala bath . Before jumping into the recipe , do take some time to read the complete post to make a perfect capsicum bath or vangi bath with capsicum as we call at home.
Vangi bath is made with young , tender , fresh , long green brinjals. But as it is not easily available throughout the year , at home we often make it capsicum and potato combination. Also mixed vegetables like carrot , french beans , green peas and potato are also used to make this vangi bath . One more favourite combination that goes well with this vangi bath is green peas and fresh methi leaves. And we call it as Vangi bath with capsicum , vangi bath with mixed vegetables and vangi bath with green peas but hilariously there will be no vangi ( brinjal) in Vangi Bath , ROFL 🙂 🙂 😉 .
As vangi bath powder is used in the recipe , by default it is referred as Vangi Bath irrespective of the vegetable used. But I had no dareness to title this recipe as Vangibath with capsicum or just vangi bath , hence gave a name has Capsicum Bath .
To make vangi bath , all we need is cooked rice , vangi bath powder , tamarind , vegetables of your choice and seasoning ingredients. Whenever you are using cooked rice in any recipe , just make sure you are either using warm rice or cool rice. Has it helps to mix well with masala without breaking the rice grains while mixing. Basmati , sona masoori , kolam , Jeera or any kind of rice can be used in the recipe . But be sure that rice is cooked well and it is fluffy with each rice grain separated. You can also use 1 teaspoon of oil and ½ teaspoon of salt while making rice for vangibath , puliyogare , chitranna varieties and also veg fried rice.
To make vangi bath masala , use sesame oil because it enhances the taste. If you don't have sesame oil, you can use any other cooking oil of your choice. But I always recommend sesame oil for recipes like puliyogare , heralekai chitranna and also our street favourite churmuri .
Firstly vangi bath masala paste need to be prepared for which amount of oil used is bit more. Because vegetables either brinjal or capsicum , it needs to be well cooked in oil . Once after seasoning , vegetables are fried well in oil and then vangibath powder needs to be added . Also tamarind juice , pinch of jaggery and salt to taste are added and cooked till oil floats. This masala paste can be stored in refrigerator upto 7 days and can be used as required.
Once after mixing rice with vangi bath masala , add 1-2 teaspoon of vangi bath powder , salt and mix well with hands . Also add ½ -1 teaspoon of lime juice , it enhances the taste and balances the spice level from vangi bath powder. If you feel spice level is high , then you can also add 1-2 tablespoon of dry coconut powder , so that it balances the heat . Feel free to make these changes to suit you taste , overall it tastes delicious.
Similar other recipes on blog are :
If interested , you can also check the following popular variety rice recipes from Karnataka cuisine :
RECIPE CARD FOR CAPSICUM BATH
Capsicum bath recipe
For Masala Paste | Gojju
- 5 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 no's Onion, medium size , sliced
- 3 no's Green capsicum , large , cut into 11/2 "inch thin sticks
- 1 Potato , small , optional
- 1 Tomato , chopped , optional
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ tablespoon Chana dal
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 2 Sprigs of Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red chillies , broken
- 2 tablespoon Cashews
- ½ teaspoon Jaggery powder
- 3 tablespoon Vangi bath powder
- ½ tablespoon Tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt or as required
To mix with rice
- 4 ½ -5 cups Cooked Rice - , refer notes
- Capsicum Masala Paste , gojju - , refer notes
- 4 - 5 tablespoon Vangi bath powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice , optional
- 3 tablespoon Coriander leaves , chopped
To make capsicum masala paste /gojju
- Heat 5 tablespoon of sesame oil in a pan. When oil is hot enough , add mustard seeds , curry leaves and broken red chillies.
- Add chana dal , urad dal and cashews and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Now add sliced onions and fry well till onion turns translucent.
- Add thinly sliced capsicum of 1 ½ " inch and fry well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and potatoes .Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder , 1 teaspoon of salt and continue to cook till potatoes and tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add 3 tablespoon of Vangi bath masala powder and mix well .
- Now add in ½ cup of tamarind juice extracted from ½ tablespoon of tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Add ½ teaspoon of jaggery powder , 1 teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Keep the flame on low , mix well everything and cook till oil releases from the edges.
- Mix well everything. Turn off the flame and set aside till use.
- Once cool , you can even store it in a clean dry glass jar upto 1 week in refrigerator.
To mix with Rice
- Take cooked and warm rice in a large plate .
- Add above prepared capsicum masala paste and mix well with rice using hands. For every 1 cup of cooked rice add about 11/2- 2 tablespoon heap of capsicum masala paste/ gojju.
- Sprinkle Vangi bath masala powder , salt to taste , few drops of lime juice , chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Adding lime juice is optional , but I recommend , as it enhances the taste.
- Taste and adjust it accordingly by adding capasicum masala paste or vangi bath masala powder or salt , to suit your taste.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields approximately about 1 ¼ cup of masala paste /gojju , which can make about ½ kilo capsicum bath.
- I have used only 2 cups of cooked rice for ⅓ cup of masala paste/gojju. But with the above capsicum masala / gojju , 4-5 cups of cooked rice can be mixed easily .
- The Masala Paste | Gojju can be stored in refrigerator upto 1 week.
- For every 1 Cup of cooked rice , 1 tablespoon of dry vangi bath masala powder needs to be mixed while mixing with rice.
Step by Step Directions to make Capsicum Bath:
For capsicum masala paste /gojju
Heat 5 tablespoon of sesame oil in a pan. When oil is hot enough , add mustard seeds, once it crackles add curry leaves and broken red chillies.
Add chana dal , urad dal and cashews and saute till it turns golden brown.
Now add sliced onions .
Fry well till onion turns translucent.
Add thinly sliced capsicum of 1 ½ " inch and fry well.
Add chopped , tomatoes and potatoes( if using) .
Mix well and saute for a minute.
Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Mix everything and continue to cook till potatoes and tomatoes are well cooked.
Add 3 tablespoon of Vangi bath masala powder
Mix well everything.
Now add in ½ cup of tamarind juice extracted from ½ tablespoon of tamarind pulp and mix well.
Add ½ teaspoon of jaggery powder , 1 ½ teaspoon of salt and mix well.
Keep the flame on low heat , mix well everything and cook till oil releases from the edges.
Mix well everything. Turn off the flame and set aside till use.
Once cool , you can even store it in a clean dry glass jar upto 1 week in refrigerator.
To mix with Rice :
Take cooked and warm rice in a large plate .
Add above prepared capsicum masala paste and mix well with rice using hands. For every 1 cup of cooked rice add about 11/2- 2 tablespoon heap of capsicum masala paste/ gojju.
Sprinkle Vangi bath masala powder , ½ teaspoon of salt and mix well with hands. For every 1 cup cooked rice , add 1 tablespoon vangi bath masala powder.
Add chopped coriander leaves and few drops of lime juice , mix well everything . Adding lime juice is optional , but I recommend , as it enhances the taste.
Taste and adjust salt or masala or spiciness accordingly by adding salt , capasicum masala paste or vangi bath masala powder to suit your taste.