Vangibath Powder with step by step photos and short video. Vangibath is one of the most popular rice varieties made with vangi (brinjal) or capsicum or any mixed vegetables. Though addition of vegetable is one's choice , traditionally vangibath was made with young and tender green brinjals. As this masala powder is used to make a masala bath with Vangi , it is called vangi bath masala powder . But this blend of spice powder can be used to make any variety of Masala Bath with additional vegetables.
Until I shifted to Pune , I believed that Vangi Bath is a Maharashtrian recipe . Later I realised that there is no connection with popular Maharashtrian Masala Bath with this Vangi Bath other than the marathi names Vangi and bath which means brinjal and rice , respectively.
This recipe is from my doddamma ( Mom's elder sister ) who does a delicious Vangibath . A good quality masala powder very important to make tasty masala bath. Vangi Bath Masala Powder gets its strong flavors from spices like marathi moggu/ kapok buds , cloves ( lavang) and cinnamons ( dalchini). If you are looking for vangibath powder recipe , similar to MTR style , then I would recommend you to try this recipe .
It's a fool proof and easy to make recipe . I often make all kinds of masala powders at home in small batches . Though this masala can be stored in a glass jar for 3 - 4 months. I often finish it with in a month because I feel that the aroma of spices will be lost if stored for longer period.
RECIPE CARD FOR VANGIBATH POWDER:
- 10 Dry Red Chillies ,guntur or any spicy version
- 4 Byadgi Red Chilli or kashmiri red chillies
- ¼ cup Coriander seeds , heap
- ½ cup Dry coconut , grated , loosely packed
- 2 tablespoon Chana dal
- 2 tablespoon Urad dal
- 1 Marathi moggu / Kapok seeds
- 2 no Cloves / Lavang
- 1 ½ " inch Cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Dry roast red chillies and coriander seeds till it releases pungent smell.
- Add cinnamon sticks , cloves and marathi moggu / kapok buds and dry roast till aroma wafts .
- Now add chana dal , urad dal and dry roast till it turns light golden brown.
- Add in ½ cup of loosely packed grated dry coconut and roast well .
- When dry coconut wilts .Turn off the stove , allow spices to cool down.
- Transfer spices into dry mixer grinder jar / blender. Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Ground to a semi fine powder.
- Store in a glass jar and use as required.
Step By Step directions for Vangibath Powder recipe:
Dry roast red chillies and coriander seeds till it releases pungent smell.
Add cinnamon sticks , cloves and marathi moggu / kapok buds and dry roast till aroma wafts .
Now add chana dal , urad dal and dry roast till it turns light golden brown.
Add in ½ cup of loosely packed grated dry coconut and roast well .
When dry coconut wilts .Turn off the stove , allow spices to cool down.
Transfer spices into dry mixer grinder jar / blender. Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
Ground to semi fine powder.
Store in a glass jar and use as required.