Vangibath Powder with step by step photos and short video ( coming up) . Vangibath is one of the most popular rice varieties made with vangi (brinjal) or capsicum or any mixed vegetables. Though addition of vegetable is one’s choice , traditionally vangibath was made with young and tender green brinjals. As this masala powder is used to make a masala bath with Vangi , it is called vangi bath masala powder . But this blend of spice powder can be used to make any variety of Masala Bath with additional vegetables.
Until I shifted to Pune , I believed that Vangi Bath is a Maharashtrian recipe . Later I realised that there is no connection with popular Maharashtrian Masala Bath with this Vangi Bath other than the marathi names Vangi and bath which means brinjal and rice , respectively.
This recipe is from my doddamma ( Mom’s elder sister ) who does a delicious Vangibath . A good quality masala powder very important to make tasty masala bath. Vangi Bath Masala Powder gets its strong flavors from spices like marathi moggu/ kapok buds , cloves ( lavang) and cinnamons ( dalchini). If you are looking for vangibath powder recipe , similar to MTR style , then I would recommend you to try this recipe .
It’s a fool proof and easy to make recipe . I often make all kinds of masala powders at home in small batches . Though this masala can be stored in a glass jar for 3 – 4 months. I often finish it with in a month because I feel that the aroma of spices will be lost if stored for longer period.
RECIPE CARD FOR VANGIBATH POWDER:
- 10 Dry Red Chillies ,guntur or any spicy version
- 4 Byadgi Red Chilli or kashmiri red chillies
- 1/4 cup Coriander seeds , heap
- 1/2 cup Dry coconut , grated , loosely packed
- 2 Tbsp Chana dal
- 2 Tbsp Urad dal
- 1 Marathi moggu / Kapok seeds
- 2 no Cloves / Lavang
- 1 1/2 " inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Dry roast red chillies and coriander seeds till it releases pungent smell.
- Add cinnamon sticks , cloves and marathi moggu / kapok buds and dry roast till aroma wafts .
- Now add chana dal , urad dal and dry roast till it turns light golden brown.
- Add in 1/2 cup of loosely packed grated dry coconut and roast well .
- When dry coconut wilts .Turn off the stove , allow spices to cool down.
- Transfer spices into dry mixer grinder jar / blender. Add 1/2 Tsp turmeric powder.
- Ground to a semi fine powder.
- Store in a glass jar and use as required.
Step By Step directions for Vangibath Powder recipe:
Dry roast red chillies and coriander seeds till it releases pungent smell.
Add cinnamon sticks , cloves and marathi moggu / kapok buds and dry roast till aroma wafts .
Now add chana dal , urad dal and dry roast till it turns light golden brown.
Add in 1/2 cup of loosely packed grated dry coconut and roast well .
When dry coconut wilts .Turn off the stove , allow spices to cool down.
Transfer spices into dry mixer grinder jar / blender. Add 1/2 Tsp turmeric powder.
Ground to semi fine powder.
Store in a glass jar and use as required.