Kaju Katli is a Indian's most loved sweet made with just 3 ingredients cashews, sugar and water. This is a very popular sweet and shared with friends, family and relatives during festivals and special occasions.
This easy kaju katli recipe gets ready within 30 minutes with no prior preparations.
What is Kaju Katli
Kaju Katli is a cashew sweet popular across India. It is believed that gifitng and eating kaju Katli brings prosperity and fortune. Hence it is popularly used in gifting during festivals.
Kaju Katli translates to " slice of cashew ", hence it is cut into very thin slices. To make this sweet all you need is cashews , sugar and water. Cashews are fine powdered and mixed in sugar syrup to form a mass. Then rolled and cut into desired shape and size.
This post shares a classic recipe , you can make any fusion recipes like pistachios rolls or even kesar kaju katli by using this original recipe of kaju katli.
Sweets are integral part of any festival and celebrations. Diwali is one such festival where lots of sweets, snacks are prepeared and shared with friends and relatives.
Kaju katli is popular during Diwali and Rakshabandhan festivals as it's a great choice for gifting in sweet hampers.
If interested, you can check collection of Diwali recipes here.
You need to try this recipe because it is
- Easy and simple
- Gets ready under 30 minutes
- Great for gifting sweet hampers
- Easily scalable
Kaju Katli Ingredients
To make best kaju katli recipe , you need just 3 main ingredients. Cashews, sugar and water.
Cashews- Use premium quality cashews to make Kaju Katli . Also don't use cashews that are old and stored in refrigerator. If stored in refrigerator , make sure that cashews comes to room temperature before blending into powder. If not , cashews may tend to leach out oil while processing.
Sugar- I use crystal white sugar to make this sweet , as white color doesn't alter the cream color of this sweet. If color is not a concern , the you can use brown sugar or even jaggery to make kaju katli recipe.
Water- To make sugar syrup all you need water , about ½ the quantity of sugar in the recipe.
Rose water - Though adding rose water is completely optional, I do add small amount of rose water for freshness and hint of lingering flavor which helps to pop out the flavor of cashews.
Refer recipe card for actual measurements.
How to make Kaju Katli
In a mixer jar ,add cashews and run in pulse mode for 5-8 seconds.
Scrape the corners of the mixer jar with spoon and again pulse it ,till you get fine powder. Note : Make sure that cashews doesn't release oil while blending.
In a nonstick pan ,heat 5 tablespoon of water, add sugar and allow it dissolve completely.
Once water comes to boil ,lower the flame . Through sieve pass cashew powder and add into sugar syrup.
Mix well and cook until cashew mix well and comes together just like any halwa. Tip : Test the doneness of cashew dough by taking small mass of cashew between your fingers and try to make small ball of it. If done, then turn of the heat.
Allow the mixture to turn warm. Once you are able to handle heat , start kneading the cashew mixture .
Knead well to a smooth dough, when oil starts to release from cashew dough , stop at that point immediately.
On a butter paper, using rolling pin ,roll the cashew dough into 3mm thickness.
Cut into desired shape when still warm and serve when cooled.
Kaju Katli Recipe | Cashew Barfi Recipe
Standard Measurement Size 1 Cup =200ml
- 1 Cup Cashews (160 grams )
- ½ Cup Sugar (100 Grams)
- 5 tablespoon Water
- ½ teaspoon Rose water , optional
- In a Mixer jar ,add cashews and run in pulse mode for 5-8 seconds.
- Scrape the corners of the mixer jar with spoon and again pulse it ,till you get fine powder.
- In a nonstick pan ,heat 5 tablespoon of water, add sugar and allow it dissolve completely.
- Once water comes to boil ,lower the flame and add Cashew Powder.
- Mix well and cook ,test the doneness of cashew by taking small mass of cashew between your fingers and try to make small ball of it. If done, then turn of the heat.
- Allow the mixture to warm,grease your palm with some ghee and start kneading the cashew mixture .
- Knead well to a smooth dough,once oil starts releasing from cashew , stop at that point immediately.
- On a butter paper, using rolling pin ,roll the cashew dough into 3mm thickness.
- Cut into desired shape when still warm and serve when cooled.
- Get Cashews Powdered Properly,that is the main key to get perfect kaju katli.You can even sieve cashew powder to get that fine powder.
- Knead the cashew mixture well,so that you get a smooth dough. While kneading ,if oil start to leave from cashew dough,stop at that point immediately.
- If cashew mass becomes more hard and if you find it difficult to knead then you can add 1-2 teaspoon of milk to knead the dough,but shelf life will be reduced.
- If you need,you can even add a drop of rose essence to cashew mixture once you turn off the heat ,before kneading.