Kolhapuri Masala is a special blend of roasted spices , dry coconut , onion and garlic. I prepared this masala, specially to make Kolhapuri Misal . I was at my Home Town with my kiddo for his summer holidays and my Sis & Niece both were behind me for this Misal Pav .
So I thought to serve them with authentic Kolhapuri Misal Pav with kat. Hence I freshly dry roasted all spices and prepared this masala for further use. If Kolhapuri Masala | Kolhapuri Chutney is ready , then making kat and misal becomes very easy.
Kolhapuri food is famous for its spice and heat . With Kolhapuri Food ,I can imagine myself with watery eyes and running nose but still enjoy my food. It's only a scene from restaurant but at home ,whenever I prepare Kolhapuri Food , I make sure it's not super hot as others don't dare to eat such a super Hot Spicy curries . With this Homemade Spice Blend , you can always have freedom to adjust heat accordingly. This recipe is from my neighbour ,who is from Kolhapur. So blindly adopted this , as Misal made with this Masala tastes super delicious.
Kolhapuri Egg Masala and Kolhapuri Biryani are regular at home. But never tried it with this homemade spice blend , I'll try with this masala powder and update you all soon . This is a basic Kolhapuri Masala recipe also known as Kolhapuri Chutney which is used in quite a few recipes to get that Kolhapuri flavours. But to make authentic Kolhapuri Cuisines , I do add few other spices along with this spice blend. With this Spice Blend at home, there are many recipes lining up in the list along with Kolhapuri Chicken Curry and Veg Masala. I'll soon update the blog with all these recipes.
RECIPE CARD FOR KOLHAPURI MASALA | KOLHAPURI CHUTNEY
Kolhapuri Masala | Kolhapuri Chutney
- Mixer Jar or Blender
- 50 grams Dry Red Chillies ( Guntur or any spicy version)
- 10 no's Byadgi Red Chillies
- ¼ Cup Coriander seeds
- 3-4 no Cloves
- ¼ inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Jeera / Cumins Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Saunf /Fennel Seeds
- ½ no Onion , medium Size
- 4 no Garlic Cloves
- ¼ Cup Coriander Leaves
- 15 grams Dry Coconut ,2 tablespoon Shredded approx
- ½ tablespoon Oil
- Dry roast red chilli till pungent on a griddle and set aside.
- On the same griddle , Dry roast ¼ cup coriander seeds ,till fragrant and set aside along with roasted red chillies.
- Dry roast all other spices ,till its aromatic and set aside along with roasted red chillies and coriander seeds.
- Add sliced onions and garlic cloves, add ½ tablespoon of Oil and saute.
- Fry till brown.
- Now add in dry coconut and fry till golden brown along with fried onions and garlic.
- Add coriander leaves and saute till crisp.
- Once it turns crisp , Turn Off the Heat / Stove .
- Add in all the roasted spices back on to the griddle and spread it evenly.
- Sun dry for minimum 30 minutes.
- Place all sun dried spices into a mixer jar / blender .
- Blend in a fine powder . Store in airtight jar and use it as required.
- You can double or triple the recipe .
- In place of Dry red chilli , you can use red chilli powder directly.If doing so , use ½ red chilli powder
- Shelf life is about 45 days
Step By Step Directions for making Kolhapuri Masala
Dry roast red chilli till pungent on a griddle and set aside.
On the same griddle , Dry roast ¼ cup coriander seeds ,till fragrant and set aside along with roasted red chillies.
Dry roast all other spices ,till its aromatic and set aside along with roasted red chillies and coriander seeds. If you are doing it in larger quantity dry roast spices separately . As I did for small quantity, roasted spices together. Add jeera , saunf and sesame seeds at last , as it pops up immediately.
Add sliced onions and garlic cloves, add ½ tablespoon of Oil and saute.
Fry till brown
Now add in dry coconut and fry till golden brown along with fried onions and garlic.
For this , Add coriander leaves and saute till crisp.
Once it turns crisp , Turn Off the Heat / Stove .
Add in all the roasted spices back on to the griddle and spread it evenly. The heat from the griddle helps to crisp the spices ,though it's optional . And sun dry it for minimum 30 minutes. You can keep it for a day too under sun.
Place all sun dried spices into a mixer jar / blender .
Blend to a fine powder .
Store in airtight jar and use it as required.