Medu Vada , Uddina Vade, Toothu Vade are few names given to this Vada. It gets the name Medu vada cause of its soft texture , it’s crisp and crunchy outside and soft inside. Medu word literally means soft in Kannada. In Kannada, Toothu means hole hence it is also called as Toothu Vade. A garland of this Vada will be offered to Lord Ganesha during festivals. Urad Dal is the main ingredient and hence the name Uddina Vade in Kannada.
Urad Dal Nutrition : Urad Dal is rich in vitamin B and minerals like iron , calcium ,folic acid and manganese. As it’s rich in protein, dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals it’s given to girls when they attain menarche to compensate the blood loss and also to strengthen the bones. Urad dal is also given to lactating mothers as it improves the milk secretion. Urad Dal is good for men too for increasing the sperm count and motility.
This healthy pulse has find its place in almost every South Indian house, without which our breakfast will be incomplete. Urad Dal is rich in plant protein, when lentils is used along with cereals, one gets complete protein. hence urad dal is used in combination with rice (Cereal) to prepare most of the breakfast like Dosa, Idli, Kichadi.
Though eating Medu vada regularly will make you fattening ,indulge once in awhile and stick to the saying “Eat fat to burn fat “. One more popular vada recipe from South Indian menu is Chana Dal Vada also known as Masala Vada.
RECIPE CARD FOR MEDU VADA | URAD VADA | UDDINE VADA
- 1 cup Whole Blackgram / Urad Dal
- 2 Tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 no Onion Medium Size or Onion Shallots 5 no’s
- 2 no Green Chilli chopped
- 2 tbsp Coconut Pieces
- 1 inch Ginger Grated
- 3-4 pinches Asafoetidia
- 4-5 no Black Peppercorns ,roughly crushed
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 3/4 – 1 Tsp Salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak Urad dal for 3-4 hours.
- Drain water completely and transfer to mixer and grind. Just sprinkle some cold water if required and grind to a thick, smooth batter.
- Whilst keep oil for heating.
- Chop onions, green chillies, greens and add to the batter. Add asafoetida, salt, rice flour mix everything.
- Once oil is hot enough, wet your hands, take a big lemon size batter in right hand ,weigh and make round, at the centre of the batter press from thumb to make a hole and slowly slide into hot oil.
- Fry on medium high heat till it turns nice golden colour.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
- Use ice cold water to grind the urad dal to smooth batter.
- Keep the batter in refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes ,this makes you to shape well the urad vada and makes crisp too.
Step by Step directions on making of Medu Vada:
Wash and soak Urad dal for 3-4 hours.
Chop onions, green chillies, greens and add to the batter. Add asafoetida, salt, rice flour mix everything.