Upsaaru Khara | Spicy Red Chilli Curry Paste , is a spice curry paste made with dry red chilli , garlic , cumin seeds, tamarind and coriander leaves. Upsaaru means its a very simple curry which will be prepared either using this Khara / Spicy curry paste or served curry accompanied with this khara. Its very popular in Mysore , Bangalore and Hassan region.
Khara means Heat/Spice in Kannada ,Upsaaru means Salted and saaru means curry. It is one of the most popular curry paste used in preparation of Upsaaru /Curry and also it is used as an accompaniment with various dishes like Thalipeeth , Akki Roti , Thepla and even Paratha.
As this is a new recipe for people outside Karnataka ,there is a lot of demand for this curry paste in Gopi's office. I often pack this curry paste in small jars for all his teammates. So there is an increasing demand for this recipe.
We can prepare this curry paste and refrigerate for more than a month.If you have this curry paste ready,then for any emergency you can use it along with rice, curry, roti , paratha ....,list is endless.
I often use this curry paste instead of pickle to serve with Gobi Paratha , Mooli Paratha ,Chinese Stuffed Paratha, Aloo Paratha, Thalipeeth and even Akki Roti. It's mainly used to prepare Upsaaru ,which i'll be posting shortly. So give a try to this authentic Upsaaru Khara of Mysore Region, Karnataka.
Recipe Card For Upsaaru Khara
Upsaaru Khara | Spicy Curry Paste - Mysore Style
- 25 No Dry Guntur or Kashmiri Red Chillies
- ½ Tbsp Tamarind ,firmly pressed
- 1 Pod Garlic or 18-20 Garlic cloves big
- ½ Tbsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 Small Bunch Coriander Leaves or ¾ Cup Coriander leaves
- ¾ Tbsp Rock Salt or 11/4 Tbsp Regular Salt
- Heat Iron griddle ,dry Roast Red Chilly,till crisp. Allow it to cool.
- Take a mixer chutney jar,add dry roasted red chilly ,add jeera seeds,black peppercorns,garlic and grind, don't add Water while grinding for first time.
- Then add coriander leaves and grind to a smooth paste by adding 2- 3 tbsp of water.
- Transfer it to a clean airtight glass jar using a spoon ,and store it in refrigerator.