Mixed vegetable saagu is one of the most popular dish from south India. Vegetables like Carrot , beans , Potato , green peas and Knol Knol are used for making Saagu . Spices are blend along with fresh coconut , green chillies and fresh coriander leaves . This saagu is spicy and also has a mild sweet tone from cashews and Saunf / fennel seeds. Taste and methods of Saagu preparation is very similar to vegetable korma .
RECIPE CARD FOR MIXED VEGETABLE SAAGU
Mixed Vegetable Saagu
- 2 no's Carrot small
- 15 no's Green Beans
- 1 no Potato Large
- 1 no Knol Knol small , optional
- 1/2 cup Green Peas , Fresh or frozen
- 1 .5 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 -2 Tsp Salt or as required
For Masala Paste
- 1/2 Cup Fresh coconut
- 6-7 no's Green Chilli , less spice variant
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds/ Saunf
- 6 no's Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 4 no's Cloves
- 1 1/2 Inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Tbsp Puffed Gram
- 6 no Whole Cashews
- 1/3 cup Coriander leaves
- 3/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 Tsp Coriander powder
- 2-3 Tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 no Dried Red chillies , broken
- 1 no Onion medium size, chopped
- 2 no's Tomato medium size ,chopped
- Blend all the ingredients under the list " For Masala " to a smooth paste using little water, keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker or in a deep kadai, heat oil , add mustard leaves , curry leaves , broken red chillies , onions and tomatoes , fry well.
- Add blended masala paste and fry till oil separates.
- Then add all cut mixed vegetables and green peas mix well cook for 2-5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup blender rinsed water, salt to taste and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once pressure settles on its own. Open the lid, add milk and keep on simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve saagu with poori or rava idli .
- You can use any of these vegetables like carrot, beans, knol khol, cauliflower, potato but all cut vegetables should come around 2 cups.
- If you are using Ginger garlic paste,use 2 Tsp.
- You can use either fresh peas or frozen peas.
- I didn't use Knol Khol,i hate that most healthy vegetable 🙂
Step By Step Directions on making of Mixed Vegetable Saagu:
Blend all the ingredients under the list ” For Masala ” to a smooth paste using little water, keep it aside.
In a pressure cooker or in a deep kadai , heat oil , add mustard leaves , curry leaves , broken red chillies , onions and tomatoes . Add blended paste and fry till oil separates.
Then add all cut mixed vegetables and green peas mix well cook for 2-5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cup blender rinsed water , salt to taste and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Once pressure settles on its own. Open the lid ,add milk and keep on simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve Saagu along with Poori or Rava Idli. Saddedned story is Poori flattened before I could click 🙁