Vegetable saagu is one of the most popular dish from south India. Vegetables like Carrot , beans , Potato , green peas and Knol Knol ( kohlrabi) are used for making Saagu .
Spices are blend along with fresh coconut , green chillies and fresh coriander leaves . This saagu is spicy and also has a mild sweet tone from cashews and Saunf / fennel seeds. Taste and methods of Saagu preparation is very similar to vegetable korma .
Mixed Vegetable Saagu goes well with poori, rava idli, rava dosa , set dosa and also with steamed rice. If you have ever visited Darshini's of Bangalore , then you'll be definitely knowing about Saagu . I serve this along with Poori , Rava Idli or Set Dosa . It tastes really good ,also this measurements are perfect and fool proof recipe . Any beginner can do it easily without messing up with taste.
You can prepare Mixed Vegetable Saagu for lunch during family/friends gatherings . Serve this to family and be prepared to get accolades from your loved ones. If you are looking for any South Indian Delicacy for gatherings , I personally suggest you to try Badanekayi Ennegayi | Stuffed Baingan with either Jowar Roti , Akki Roti
How to make Vegetable Saagu:
Blend all the ingredients under the list " For Masala " to a smooth paste using little water, keep it aside.
In a pressure cooker or in a deep kadai , heat oil , add mustard leaves , curry leaves , broken red chillies , onions and tomatoes . Add blended paste and fry till oil separates.
Then add all cut mixed vegetables and green peas mix well cook for 2-5 minutes. Add 1 ½ cup blender rinsed water , salt to taste and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Once pressure settles on its own. Open the lid ,add milk and keep on simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve Saagu along with Poori or Rava Idli.
Vegetable Saagu Recipe
- 2 no's Carrot small
- 15 no's Green Beans
- 1 no Potato Large
- 1 no Knol Knol small , optional
- ½ cup Green Peas , Fresh or frozen
- 1 .5 cup Water
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 ½ -2 teaspoon Salt or as required
For Masala Paste
- ½ Cup Fresh coconut
- 6-7 no's Green Chilli , less spice variant
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds/ Saunf
- 6 no's Garlic Cloves
- ½ inch Ginger
- 4 no's Cloves
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tablespoon Puffed Gram
- 6 no Whole Cashews
- ⅓ cup Coriander leaves
- ¾ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 no Dried Red chillies , broken
- 1 no Onion medium size, chopped
- 2 no's Tomato medium size ,chopped
- Blend all the ingredients under the list " For Masala " to a smooth paste using little water, keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker or in a deep kadai, heat oil , add mustard leaves , curry leaves , broken red chillies , onions and tomatoes , fry well.
- Then add all cut mixed vegetables and green peas mix well cook for 2-5 minutes.
- Add ground masala paste and fry till oil separates.
- Add 1 ½ cup blender rinsed water, salt to taste and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once pressure settles on its own. Open the lid, add milk and keep on simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve saagu with poori or rava idli .
- You can use any of these vegetables like carrot, beans, knol khol, cauliflower, potato but all cut vegetables should come around 2 cups.
- If you are using Ginger garlic paste,use 2 Tsp.
- You can use either fresh peas or frozen peas.