Oats Pancake or oats GreenPeas chilla recipe with step by step photos and video. Oats savory pancakes are quick , easy and tasty protein packed breakfast recipe made with rolled oats , green peas, herbs and spices.
Other Oats recipes which I often make at home for breakfast are Oats Omelette , PeanutButter Oats Smoothie , Protein Rich Masala Oats ( 3 flavors) , Oats Kichadi and Instant Oats Idli
About this recipe
Basically Chilla means pancakes in India . It can be either savoury or sweet. And this Green peas ,matar oats chilla is a gluten free and vegan free Pancakes. Spices and herbs used in this recipe not only enhances the taste but also helps for proper digestion. So I recommend not to skip Asafoetida, Carom seeds , Cumin seeds and ginger in this recipe.
Ingredients,Tips and Variations
Oats : Rolled Oats works best for this recipe . You can also use steel cut oats but it needs long soaking hours. Though instant oats can be used it needs additional rice flour or semolina to combine to make chilla/ pancakes.
Spices and Herbs : Carom seeds, Asafoetida, Cumin seeds and Ginger aids in good digestion as well as assimilation of nutrients.
Green Peas : You can use either fresh or frozen green peas. But just make sure to cook green peas before blending with oats.
Other ingredients : Red Chilies , Onion , Salt and coriander leaves adds taste to the dish.
Variations : Can add more leafy vegetables like spinach , moringa or fenugreek leaves can be added . Also grated carrots and cabbage can be added to make it more nutrient rich.
Health Benefits of Oats Green peas Pancakes
- Oats are rich in protein and fibers . It has a low GI which makes a healthy choice for people with diabetes. Foods with lower GI scores are ideal and helps to keep blood sugar stable.
- Oats contains beta-glucan , a soluble fiber . Beta-glucan partially dissolves in water and forms a thick, gel-like solution in the gut . There by improves good gut bacteria
- Oats may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol and protecting LDL cholesterol from oxidation.
- Oatmeal may help you lose weight by making you feel more full. Eating filling foods may help you eat fewer calories and lose weight.
- The fiber-rich outer layer of the grain, may help relieve constipation
How to make Oats Pancakes
Soak 1 cup rolled oats in water for 10 to15 minutes. I always use Organic Rolled Oats from a particular brand from amazon , you can find it on my amazon stores
Boil 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas with ½ teaspoon salt . Make sure to cook green peas completely.
Add soaked oats, green peas , ginger, dry red chili, cumin seeds, carom seeds , asafoetida and hing into a mixer.
Blend to a smooth batter by adding ¼ to ½ cup water.
Transfer to a bowl , add chopped onions and coriander leaves, Mix well together.
Heat tawa/ pan/ griddle , spread ladle full of batter on tawa .
Drizzle oil ( for vegans) or ghee .
Cover lid and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook on both sides.
Serve with any chutney or curry.
I usually pair Oats chilla with spicy Tomato chutney or Pumpkin Chutney. In frame its spicy tomato chutney.
Oats Greenpeas Chilla | Oats Pancakes
- 1 cup rolled Oats - soaked for 10 minutes
- 1 Cup Green Peas - fresh or frozen , cooked completely
- 1 pinch Hing
- 1 pinch Ajwain/ Carom Seeds
- 1-2 Red Chilles - to taste
- 1 ” inch Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ Cup Onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon of coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak 1 cup rolled oats in water for 10 to minutes.
- Boil 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas with ½ teaspoon salt . Make sure to cook green peas completely.
- Add soaked oats, green peas , ginger, dry red chili, cumin seeds, carom seeds , asafoetida and hing into a mixer. Blend to a smooth batter by adding ¼ to ½ cup water.
- Transfer to a bowl , add chopped onions and coriander leaves, Mix well together.
- Heat tawa/ pan/ griddle , spread ladle full of batter on tawa .
- Drizzle oil ( for vegans) or ghee .
- Cover lid and cook for 2 minutes.Flip and cook on both sides.
- Serve with any chutney or curry. I usually pair Oats chilla with Tomato chutney or Pumpkin Chutney.
Leave a Reply