Pumpkin Soup is a healthy bowl of soup . It’s a very easy and simple recipe that can be prepared within 30 minutes with only few basic ingredients. General they do add fresh cream to pumpkin soup ,but in this recipe I have not added any cream other than garnishing. The taste if this no cream pumpkin soup is as good as cream based soup .
This recipe is very light on stomach , low on calories and easy to digest. You can make this soup for your light dinner along with croutons and a slice of garlic bread toast.
I wanted to prepare a healthy bowl of soup ,so i have not added any fresh cream . And this Pumpkin Soup is almost there in all my friend’s diet plan as a part of their weight loss diet plan. So “BIG NO” for fresh creams and heavy creams here.
One more Pumpkin Soup recipe, I often do is Thai Style Pumpkin soup by adding Coconut Milk. I’ll be sharing the recipe soon , even Thai Pumpkin Soup is very nutritious.
Pumpkin is a very nutritious veggie ,adding it to our diet is very beneficial .Make a rule to eat pumpkin at least ,twice a week in any of the form.
Recipe card for Pumpkin Soup
- 1/2 Tbsp Butter
- 500 grams Pumpkin
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves,medium size chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper powder or as required
- 1/2-3/4 Tsp Salt or as needed
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cream optional
- Clean Pumpkin, remove skin and seeds and chop into cubes.
- In a pressure cooker , melt 1 Tbsp of butter . Add chopped garlic cloves , sliced onions and a bay leaf ,saute well till onion starts to brown lightly.
- Add chopped pumpkin cubes , mix well and add salt.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Allow pressure to release on its own.
- Discard bay leaf ,drain the stock and reserve it. Place the cooked pumpkin in a blender / food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup of reserved stock and blend it to get puree.
- Adjust the consistency ,if required by adding the reserved stock. Add pepper powder ,1 Tbsp fresh cream(optional) ,adjust salt if needed.
- Serve it hot , topped with croutons and slice of garlic bread.
- As vegetable stock is not used here , Onion and Bay leaf are added while cooking the Pumpkin . To get the taste similar to that of vegetable stock.
- Instead of water ,If you are using Vegetable stock ,then no need to use bay leaf and onion while sauteing pumpkin.
Step by step directions on making of Pumpkin Soup:
Wash ,rinse and clean pumpkin. Remove skin and pumpkin seeds, chop pumpkin into cubes and set it aside.
In a pressure cooker , melt 1 Tbsp of butter .Add chopped garlic cloves , onion and a bay leaf .
Saute well till onion starts to brown lightly ,add chopped pumpkin cubes and mix well.
Add salt ,1 cup of water and pressure cook.
Pressure cook for 1 whistle and allow pressure to release on its own.
Discard bay leaf ,drain the stock and reserve it. Place the cooked pumpkin in a blender / food processor.
Add 1/4 cup of reserved stock and blend it to get puree.
Adjust the consistency ,if required by adding the reserved stock. Add pepper powder ,1 Tbsp fresh cream(optional) ,adjust salt if needed.
Serve it hot , topped with croutons and slice of garlic bread.