Pumpkin Soup recipe with step by step photos and video. Pumpkin soup is a quick , easy and healthy bowl of soup , perfect for fall . It's easy to make with basic ingredients and gets ready under 30 minutes from start to end.
Most of the pumpkin soup calls for fresh ,but this recipe has no fresh cream other than garnishing. The taste if this no cream pumpkin soup is as good as any cream based soup .
I'm very fond of pumpkin for it's taste as well as it's health benefits. From chutney, soups , sides, savories , cakes and lattes , I make almost everything from pumpkin. If interested , do check my personal favorite pumpkin recipes like pumpkin chutney , pumpkin khichdi , pumpkin halwa and pumpkin walnut cake .
About this recipe
This low calorie Pumpkin Soup has no cream added . There by it fits in as one of the excellent low calorie recipe for weight watchers.
This pumpkin soup is
- quick and easy to make
- light on stomach
- easy to digest
- low on calories
- very nutritious
- mildly sweet to taste and flavorful
Produce - Yellow pumpkin, onion, garlic and bay leaf
Dairy - Butter and fresh cream
Liquid - Water or vegetable stock or chicken stock
Seasoning -salt and pepper
Please refer recipe card for actual measurements
Step by step directions to make Pumpkin Soup:
Wash ,rinse and clean pumpkin. Remove skin and pumpkin seeds, chop pumpkin into cubes and set it aside.
In a pressure cooker , melt 1 tablespoon of butter .Add chopped garlic cloves , onion and a bay leaf .
Saute well till onion starts to brown lightly ,add chopped pumpkin cubes and mix well.
Add salt ,1 cup of water or stock ( veg or chicken ) and cover lid.
Pressure cook for 1 whistle and allow pressure to release on its own.
Discard bay leaf ,drain the stock and reserve it. Place the cooked pumpkin in a blender / food processor.
Add ¼ cup of reserved stock and blend it to get puree.
Adjust the consistency ,if required by adding the reserved stock. Add pepper powder ,1 tablespoon fresh cream(optional) and adjust salt if needed.
Serve it hot , topped with croutons and slice of garlic bread.
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 500 grams Pumpkin
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves,medium size chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 cup water or stock
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper powder or as required
- ½-3/4 teaspoon Salt or as needed
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Cream optional
- Clean Pumpkin, remove skin and seeds and chop into cubes.
- In a pressure cooker , melt 1 tablespoon of butter . Add chopped garlic cloves , sliced onions and a bay leaf ,saute well till onion starts to brown lightly.
- Add chopped pumpkin cubes , mix well and add salt.
- Add 1 cup of water/ stock and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Allow pressure to release on its own.
- Discard bay leaf ,drain the stock and reserve it. Place the cooked pumpkin in a blender / food processor.
- Add ¼ cup of reserved stock and blend it to get puree.
- Adjust the consistency ,if required by adding the reserved stock. Add pepper powder ,1 tablespoon fresh cream(optional) ,adjust salt if needed.
- Serve it hot , topped with croutons and slice of garlic bread.
- As vegetable stock is not used here , Onion and Bay leaf are added while cooking the Pumpkin . To get the taste similar to that of vegetable stock.
- Instead of water ,If you are using Vegetable stock ,then no need to use bay leaf while sautéing pumpkin.