Virgin Mary is a savory drink made mainly with Tomato Juice. To make this non alcoholic mocktail all you need is Tomato Juice, Celery, Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco and salt. Virgin Mary is a version of Bloody Mary in a non alcoholic form. Skipping Vodka from Bloody Mary recipe yields Virgin Mary with same great flavours without a booze.
Virgin Mary can be made either spicy or mild depending on your taste. The main ingredients are tomato and Lemon juice , other ingredients are simply there to enhance the taste. Anyone can enjoy this drink at any time of the day . It is a great drink and is considered to be one of the best and nutritious hangover cure .
Benefits of Tomato Juice : Tomato Juice boosts digestions and also works wonders in flushing out toxins deposition from the body . Also presence of sulphur and chlorine helps kidney and liver to perform a better detoxification process. Tomato juice contains Potassium which reduces water retention . Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants , beta- carotene , Vitamin C and E with high amount of lycopene , making it good for heart. Lycopene helps in removing cholesterol from the blood and strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
So adding tomato juice in our daily diet , delivers more health benefits. This red fruit which is an indispensable part of our Indian cuisine not just adds tang to the dish but also offers many health and beauty benefits.
RECIPE CARD FOR VIRGIN MARY
Virgin Mary Drink
- 3 cups Tomato Juice Chilled
- 1 Tsp Cajun Spices or Black pepper powder
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 -1 Tsp Tabasco Sauce or as required
- 1 Tsp celery salt or chopped celery
- salt to taste
- 6 Ice Cubes crushed
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice , frosting glass rim
- 1 Tsp Salt , frosting glass rim
- 1 no Celery stalk as stirrer
- 1 Lemon wedges or cherry tomatoes
- Halve 10 large chilled tomatoes and add into juicer / blender to get 2.5 -3 cups of tomato Juice. Pass it through strainer and collect the juice.
- Add 1 tsp of cajun spices or fresh black pepper powder , 2 tsp lemon juice, 2 Tsp Worcestershire sauce , 1/2 - 1 Tsp of Tabasco sauce as required and 1 Tsp chopped celery or celery salt.
- Stir well everything or shake well in a cocktail/mocktail bottle.
- Take a tall serving glass, dip the rim of the glass in lemon juice .
- Roll the glass in salt , shake off the excess salt and allow the frosting to dry.
- Now shake well the prepared juice in a bottle and pour it into glass.
- Add some crushed ice cubes and garnish with a celery stalk , lemon wedges and cherry tomatoes.
- Black pepper powder or Cajun spices are used alternatively , i love cajun Spices , hence added the same.
- If Celery salt is not available ,then add chopped celery to the juice . But strain and serve the juice.
- Can use readymade Tomato juice.
- Amount Of Tabasco can be increased or decreased ,to alter the heat of the juice.
- Be careful while adding salt as cajun spices already contains salt in it.
- Add extra salt only if you are using chopped celery and not Celery Salt.
Step by Step Directions for making Virgin Mary :
Halve 10 large chilled tomatoes and add into juicer / blender to get 2.5 -3 cups of tomato Juice. Pass it through strainer and collect the juice.
Add 1 tsp of cajun spices or fresh black pepper powder , 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 Tsp Worcestershire sauce , 1/2 – 1 Tsp of Tabasco sauce as required and 1 Tsp chopped celery or celery salt. Stir well everything or shake well in a cocktail/mocktail jar/bottle.
Take a tall serving glass, dip the rim of the glass in lemon juice . Roll the glass in salt , shake off the excess salt and allow the frosting to dry.
Now shake the prepared juice and pour it into glass.
Add some ice cubes and garnish with a celery stalk , lemon wedges and cherry tomatoes.