Onion Rava Dosa recipe with step by step pictures . Onion Rava Dosa is a thin ,crispy and lace Dosa which is made instantly with easily available ingredients from kitchen . Semolina/ Rava, Rice flour , Onion and few spices are the main ingredients used to make this recipe. As I will be looking for more instant options to make breakfast / light tiffin for evening during weekends, this becomes easy without any pre-preparation and fermentation.
To make Onion Rava Dosa , batter consistency is the only key factor to consider . Batter should be watery and runny to nail a perfect South Indian Onion Rava Dosa . Though it's called as Instant Rava Dosa , a good 30 minutes of resting time for batter is very important . For instant version of Dosa / Idli , if semolina / rava is used in the recipe then just make sure to soak and keep for minimum 20- 30 minutes to get desired results . Or else the final dish may not turn out as good as it needs to be.
If you are a reader of my blog , by now you would have already noticed that for all my semolina based recipes I use curds / yogurt . Because it adds a hint of tang flavour to the final dish to make it more delicious. Either buttermilk or curds with water can be used in this recipe. Always use medium size rava / bombay rava or regular upma rava to make rava dosa. Using fine rava or coarse rava (bansi rava) doesn't yield good crispy lacy dosa.
Also in order to save time , initially mix rava , rice flour and refined flour with curds and water , rest for good 20 minutes. Whilst chop onions , green chillies and leaves and then add into the batter along with other spices. Also while batter is resting ,you can prepare Coconut Chutney and Tomato Chutney to serve with Onion Rava Dosa.
If you are looking for more Dosa recipes ,do check these following Dosa Recipe Collections :
- Mysore Masala Dosa
- Gobi Masala Dosa
- Set Dosa | Sponge Dosa
- Menthe Dosa | Fenugreek dosa
- Pesarattu | Greengram Dosa
- Adai | Mixed Grain Dosa
- Instant Oats Dosa
RECIPE CARD FOR ONION RAVA DOSA
Onion Rava Dosa Recipe
- ½ cup Rava / semolina
- ½ cup Rice flour
- ¼ cup Refined flour /All purpose flour /Maida
- 1 no Onion ,medium size, finely chopped
- 1 no Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger ,grated
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ tablespoon Black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar , optional
- 1 sprig Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves ,chopped
- Oil / Ghee for roasting
- 2-3 tablespoon Curds
- 3.5-4 cups Water or as required
- In a mixing bowl , add rava , rice flour and refined flour.
- Add in green chillies , ginger , cumin seeds , crushed black peppercorns , curry leaves , coriander leaves ,salt and pinch of sugar.
- Mix well everything .
- Add 2-3 tablespoon of curds and 2 cups of water or else you can also add butter milk.
- Add finely chopped onions, whisk well . Let batter rest for minimum 20 minutes.
- After resting time , add remaining 1.5 cups of water ,mix well everything from bottom . As rava tends to settle down at bottom , adjust remaining water while pouring dosa in next batches.
- On a hot non stick tawa/ cast iron griddle and pour a ladle full of batter from outside to inner side, fill in the large holes.
- Drizzle some oil / ghee on top of dosa and cook on a low- medium heat ,slowly .
- Adding curds or buttermilk is optional , but adding it really enhances the taste.
- You can even replace 2 tablespoon of Refined Flour with Whole Wheat flour if required.
- Batter consistency should be watery to get lace structure in Dosa. Rava tends to settle down at bottom so stir batter from bottom in ladle every time before pouring batter on griddle to make dosa.
- Be generous in adding Ghee / oil for roasting Dosa , as it makes dosa crispy .
- Tastes good when served hot.
Step by Step directions to make Onion Rava Dosa Recipe:
In a mixing bowl , add rava , rice flour and refined flour.
Add in green chillies , ginger , cumin seeds , crushed black peppercorns , curry leaves , coriander leaves ,salt and pinch of sugar.
Mix well everything .
Add 2-3 tablespoon of curds.
And 2 cups of water or else you can also add butter milk. Or just water can also be added.
Whisk well together.
Now add finely chopped onions .
Let batter rest for minimum 20 minutes.
On a hot non stick tawa/ cast iron griddle and pour a ladle full of batter from outside to inner side, fill in the large holes. Only if batter is thin , lacy and crispy dosa's are formed. Every time while making next dosa , please ensure to stir batter from the bottom . As batter tends to settle down at the bottom , if batter looks thick , then feel free to adjust with little water and pinch of salt to taste.
Drizzle some oil / ghee on top of dosa and roast dosa on a medium-low heat , slowly .
Once the base looks firm and turns golden brown , remove dosa from corners.
Fold and serve it straight .