This is No Onion ,No Garlic recipe .There are 2 methods of doing Gojju Avalakki ,one is using Puliyogare mix and the other one is by using Tamarind juice and rasam powder or Sambar Powder.I do it the second way, as it is easy and tastes very delicious.
This recipe is shared from my neighbour , Girija Aunty to my Mom , 30 years before and till date We all at home follow the same recipe ,without any changes and every time I enjoy eating this. I’m feeling Nostalgic ……., while writing this .
Every month I fast on Shasti ,i.e,6th day after amavasya/new moon day and on those days ,after performing pooja ,Green Gram Usal , Black and White Chickpea Usal , Gojju Avalakki ,Sihi Avalakki , Sabudana vada , Sabudana Khichdi and Banana Rasayana are what we generally eat .
Recipe Card For Gojju Avalakki |Spicy Tangy Poha
Instant Gojju Avalakki Recipe | Sour Poha Recipe
- 2 Cups Thick Beaten Rice / Thick Poha
- 1 1/3 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Groundnuts /peanuts
- 1 Tsp Channa Dal
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 2 Tsp Jaggery Powder
- 2 Dry Red Chillies ,broken
- 1.5 Tbsp Rasam Powder or Sambar Powder
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Grated Dry Coconut
- 1 Tsp White Sesame Seeds - Optional
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt or as required
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Dry roast poha(beaten rice) for 2 minutes and powder to coarse,using dry mixer jar in pulse mode for not more than 5 seconds repeat twice so that poha should be corse and should look similar to dalia (Broken Wheat).
- After 15 minutes, Extract the tamarind juice,discard the residue .
- In Tamarind juice , add rasam / sambar powder,hing,jaggery and 1 tsp salt and stir it well.
- Now add this mixture to poha and keep it aside for 10 minutes so that poha absorbs all the water completely and looks dry.
- Heat oil in a pan , add mustard seeds ,peanuts,urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies ( broken into pieces).
- Once chillies starts changing colour ,add soaked poha ,mix it well and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust salt ,if required . Add grated dry coconut (You can even add powder dry coconut along with 1 Tsp of dry roasted white sesame seeds ) and mix well.
- Serve Gojju Avalakki hot /warm or cold.
- Only Thick Quality Poha Works well for this Recipe.
- Be careful in adding water ,measure the ratio of water and add. If poha is very thick ,it may take up to 1 1/3 cups of water or else poha to water ratio will be 2 :1 .
- If you add less water , it will be very dry to eat , if you add more water it becomes soggy . So add water carefully ,as it depends on the quality of poha you use.
Step By Step Directions on making of Instant Gojju Avalakki :
Soak tamarind in warm water for 30 minutes.
Dry roast poha(beaten rice) for 2 minutes and powder to coarse. Use dry mixer jar in pulse mode for not more than 5 seconds repeat twice so that poha should be coarse and should look similar to dalia (Broken Wheat).
Extract the tamarind juice,discard the residue.In Tamarind juice , add rasam powder or sambar powder,hing, jaggery and 1 tsp salt and stir it well.
Now add this mixture to poha and keep it aside for 10 minutes so that poha absorbs all the water completely and looks dry.
Now take a pan add oil once its hot add mustard seeds ,peanuts,urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and red chillies.
Add soaked poha ,mix it well and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Finally add grated cobra. (You can even grind it into powder along with 1 Tsp of white sesame seeds and you can add).
Serve Gojju Avalakki hot or warm. It tastes too good ,however you eat 🙂